This website is being updated, please bear with us !
Dominican Black Abbey Community
The Dominican community in Kilkenny has a long and chequered presence, stretching back to their arrival here in 1235. The Black Abbey (deriving its name from the Black Friars, as the Dominicans were called) is the longest established of all the Irish foundations.
Today, the friars & the Bl Peter O Higgins Lay Dominican Chapter assigned here are engaged in traditional apostolates, particularly liturgical preaching and sacramental services.
Some of the community are involved in the ministry of preached retreats, while the elders – fr. Finbar and fr. Dominic – support the ministry by their prayers and much-appreciated presence.
The public celebration of the Liturgy of the Hours by the community is a daily event in which visitors to the abbey are encouraged to participate.
The Black Abbey is an historical foundation, attracting large numbers of tourists, and many of these are meeting Dominican friars for the first time.